Friday, October 15, 2010

The "D" Word: Diets

Here is the part you have all been waiting for. The diets! I hope you're excited because I am not!
This is the part of training that I have been struggling the most with. No, it's not because it's strict, it's because I can't gain weight. I know, it's usually the last thing a woman wants to happen, but for the first 3 months of training weight gain is crucial. And here's why: Due to the intensity and strictness of the diet in the last 3 months of training, you need to have enough weight, and even muscle, to lose. In my case, I will probably only be losing about 10 pounds (just a guess). If I do not gain enough weight in these next few months (at least 5 lbs), all the muscle that I have worked so hard to put on will be gone and I will look skinny and flat come show-time in April (not a winning combination). So, what have I been eating? Take a look!

My diet consists mainly of high protein, complex carbohydrates, and fat (yes fat). I try to eat as clean as possible, meaning foods that are natural and not processed. However, I get 2 cheat meals a week in which I usually go all out (dare I say a McDonald's mini meal?). According to my height, weight, and activity level, I try to consume about 1,800 calories and 100-150 grams of protein. Which is a lot harder then you would think.

Keys to the diet:
-eat every 2-3 hours to keep metabolism revved
-MEASURE EVERYTHING
-use The Daily Plate food tracking tool to track my calories
-schedule meals (yes, sometimes that means waking up to eat)
-cook the next day of meals the night before
-don't forget to take your food with you where ever you go!
-try to drink a gallon of water a day (also very difficult)

Meal 1 (5:30 am)
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 serving EAS Advantedge protein shake (bought from Fred Meyer, so tasty)

Meal 2 (8:00 am)
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter (Adam's)
1 Tbsp strawberry preserves

Meal 3 (11:00 am)
4 oz Activia Light
4 ounces Brown Rice
4 ounces Chicken breast with Mrs. Dash sodium free seasoning
16 ounces Special K2O protein water mix

Meal 4 (2:00 pm)
1 serving Special K Strawberry Cereal
1 cup non-fat milk

Meal 5 (pre-workout) (5:00 pm)
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 Tbsp Adam's Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp Honey

Meal 6 (post workout) (8:00 pm)
1 Sargento's Light string cheese
2 scoops 100% whey protein

Although this is not an ideal day of eating (should of had more chicken, rice, and vegetables), I reached my goal of 1,800 calories and 145 grams of protein.

Cheat Meals
My favorite cheat meal so far has been a Starbucks, Tall non-fat Pumpkin Spice latte with a Starbuck's Spinach, egg white, and feta wrap. Yum! Next in line is the McDonald's McChicken mini meal with diet coke. I feel really disgusting after eating this, but it has helped me to at least maintain my weight.

Future Additions and Goals
I want to eat cleaner than the day of eating shown above (i.e. less peanut butter), so I plan on adding some variety (because chicken gets old very fast.) I'm going to start adding in white fish such as Tilapia and salmon every once in awhile for the healthy fats. The more protein I can get from animal sources the better, so I'll try to add in some pork and probably even some steak.

Check back soon to see what our shopping list will look like. Eating clean for 2 can get very expensive!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, eating clean can get expensive. I love eating all natural foods but they do get expensive.

    ReplyDelete