Sunday, January 27, 2013

Welcome Hayden Leigh Eaton!

We did it! Our sweet baby girl was rapidly born into this world on January 17, 2013 at 10:39pm. How rapidly you ask? 2 hours and 39 minutes, from start to finish! Obviously I will attribute the "ease" (not to say that this was an easy task by any means) of delivery to exercise! Here is a condensed breakdown of Hayden's birth story...

Hayden's Grand Entrance

-felt frustrated and restless: feeling like I would be pregnant forever- had no signs of labor whatsoever
-went on 40 minute brisk walk with the hubby and the dog: best I felt on a walk in a long time
-baby was very active in my tummy that day making it hard to get comfortable
-did a lot of sitting, swaying, and rocking on my exercise ball
-got on all-fours and swayed from side to side periodically throughout the day to ease restlessness
-ordered take-out for dinner: Sweet N Sour chicken, rice, and salad
-rented movie: contractions started at 8pm on the dot
-thought the cramping might have been from food, so went to the restroom: contractions continued
-decided I was truly in labor so had hubby draw me a bath and got in the warm water-thought I would be there for awhile. I was mistaken.
-contractions continued to get stronger, starting in my lower back and radiating to my lower abdomen. It was a very deep/tight sensation: Painful but manageable
-hubby made the call to head to hospital as contractions were 3-4 minutes apart from the start, and lasted 40-55seconds each. I was in denial as the "average" first time labor will generally last 17 hours
-husband was so calm and collected and coached me to keep breathing. He went outside to warm up the car and turn on the heated seats for me
-got in the car and I promptly took off my sweatshirt and rolled down the window. The crisp air helped me focus
-we turned on my relaxing music, I closed my eyes, and breathed deeply, in through the nose and out through the mouth on our 25 minute drive to the hospital
-got to hospital, said "hi" to mom and dad, got in a wheel chair and checked in
-undressed, got into hospital gown and on bed, water broke (audibly) contractions became INTENSE
-nurses asked if I wanted pain meds. I said "I don't know, I think I'm doing fine without them."
-checked by nurse, dilated to an 8, felt the urge to push, and they rushed me off to delivery room
- hubby held my hand, I squeezed tightly and started to get nervous. This was happening too fast. Nurse coached me to "pant" through contractions to resist pushing until checked by doctor. This was very helpful for me
- doctor came and checked me out, directed to follow urge to push. Husband and nurse each held one of my legs and i pulled with my hands and pushed hard
-nurses brought in a "squat bar" to place my feet on the sides and a sheet was tied to the top of the bar for me to pull myself up with. This made my "pushing" much more affective
-nurse told me to visualize my abs squeezing the baby out. This was helpful as I could relate it to exercise
-baby's shoulder got stuck and doctor directed me to push really hard and hold it as long as I could. On next contraction I said "come on baby!" and pushed with all my might. Felt a lot of pressure and burning
-baby was born and immediately placed on my chest. I cried but no tears came out. I was overwhelmed with love and joy. Mom and husband were amazing coaches!

Hayden Leigh Eaton: 7lbs 12.4ounces, 19.5inches long

I am currently recovering from 2nd degree tears (tearing through top layer of skin and into muscle) from "top to bottom." You do the math. So exercise is a totally different form at this point. Breastfeeding, caring for the baby, doing housework, walking around the house every hour or so, and kegels are part of my current routine. With this form of exercise and eating nutritious meals (still taking in at least 400 extra calories for breast feeding) I am starting to feel more like me.

More updates to come on post-natal exercise after I'm cleared by the doctor in another 5 weeks:)

No comments:

Post a Comment