Wednesday, January 18, 2012

i'm back!

Well, I took quite the hiatus after our show in April 2011, mostly due to the fact that I had gained back 20 pounds and was just plain burnt out. It has taken me 8 months to get back to my "comfortable" weight. Now, 10 pounds lighter, I am feeling much better (improved confidence, energy, ect.). I really struggled to lose those ten pounds (obviously as it took 8 months), but I wanted to take a healthy, slow approach so as not to get burnt out again.

So, how did I lose those 10 lbs? Very small changes on a daily basis. 

After the show I was so burnt out physically and emotionally that I just didn't want to be healthy. This was a horrible realization considering my job as a personal trainer is to help make others healthy. I let myself rest for a few months until I just couldn't stand the way I was feeling anymore (depressed, tired, no motivation). I was not motivated by going to the gym and hated the idea of being on a strict meal plan. So I threw the rules out the window and went with the flow. Instead of exercising at the gym, I laced up my running shoes and took it outside. I strove to find all the reasons I enjoyed exercise; the fresh air, the scenery around me, the release I felt from finishing a slow and steady jog with my dog at my side. When I wasn't in the mood for a jog, I would either take the dog to the park and race around with him, or I would do quick exercise videos at home using Netflix (30 minutes or less).

As far as nutrition goes I really focused on the small changes. Drinking more water, eating less junk and more veggies. I did NOT restrict myself, however, I did pay closer attention to portion size and wrote down the things I ate to review at the end of the day to make adjustments the next day. I have found it helpful to keep a few healthy frozen meals on hand for those nights I didn't feel like cooking or when I was craving something naughty. 

Stepping away from the gym and doing non-traditional exercise really motivated me to stay active and keep consistent. I am currently training for the Bloomsday 12k race in May. Having a specific goal and date to accomplish this goal keeps me going. My exercise routine is completely different than it was a year ago, which is why I am enjoying it so much!

No, I am not ripped like I was a year ago, and my body is not and never will be perfect, and thats the way I like it. I am accepting and enjoying my imperfections and I encourage many of you to do the same this year :)

In short, the best approach to weight loss, or any life-style change, is to make small changes on a daily basis. Sometimes it is the smallest changes that make the biggest difference. Making a drastic change may help you reach your goal short-term, but if you cannot continue to carry out those changes for the rest of your life, why bother?


1 comment:

  1. Brit, I think you look fabulous at any weight. :) Thanks for this blog--I think too many people make losing weight too hard. It's all about making those little changes and being consistent.

    ReplyDelete